Mga Pahina

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Confessions 102: First Few Steps.. Inspiration..

I have to say Regine Velasquez has inspired me a lot during those times when I wanted to be a singer. Her "rags to riches" story really hit me hard aside from her amazing voice that really captivated me. I would often watch her every Sunday and never missed any episode just to watch her, listen to her and learn her ways on singing. By that time they would tell me that I was a copy-cat. I do not know or maybe I was in-denial if I really sounded like Regine V. before, and those scrutiny really made my self-esteem down.

When I was in Freshman back in high school I knew  that my goal was to become a singer, but unfortunately I didn't get any support anymore from my family. I didn't get a boost or encouragement from them...not anymore..maybe. My siblings would really put me down most of the time saying, I cannot do it, I shouldn't do it, I would be a humiliation if ever. Though I know I wasn't sintunado and I know I can sing, I know how to listen and because I listen so hard.. I always hear them telling me I cannot do it. LOL

It was different in school though. LOL my teachers would ask me to sing the National Anthem during flag ceremony and retreat. They would always ask me for this and that everything that were related to my voice. And I wasn't even from a pilot class! But I always got boost from my classmates, especially from a good friend Danily who even told me to go with my dreams and I should hire her to be my manager ( LOL). But always, always, when I get home it was different. Although I would still sing when there were family occasions, but it wasn't the same pride that they saw in me when I was younger, when I was in my teenage years. But I didn't back down! LOL

I tried, I prayed for it..and there were so many chances, but I lack from support. There was a singing contest before that was hosted by Regine Velasquez where Sarah Geronimo won - Star for a Night - when I really wanted to join but when I asked permission from parents because I was below 18yo, they wouldn't allow me because they said I couldn't make it. I was inexperienced. My voice wasn't good enough. And then a year after I was like 15yo still underage but I again was declined by my parents but my classmate's parent made me a letter of consent to join(LOL) but then since I didn't know we should have a whole body picture so I wasn't able to join. So I said, next time.. See? I had a very good fighting spirit then...

And then I think it was 2006, I was 16yo I joined singing contest in school. I thought I was really good already (LoL) , I know perfect timing, and my pitch, I listen to my voice and I know the things that I can do. I know my voice really well and I was so determined that I can win it. But then again, I have learned one thing that time ... yes I did not win, but I have learned that even if you know yourself really well, you sing because you communicate, do not sing just because you are singing and singing for yourself. Sing for the people. Sing like sharing your voice to the other people, which was really important right? Actually, that was the statement from one of the judges who happened to be my teacher. lol

That experienced pushed me more and inspired me on how to do it next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment